HOMEMADE CANCER DIET RECIPE:
The following work was originally published by Veterinary Information Network, Inc. (VIN) and is republished with VIN's permission:
A balanced homemade formula for dogs with cancer. The following recipe will make three days worth of food for a 25-30 pound dog.
- Lean ground beef, fat drained 454 grams (1 pound)
- Rice, cooked 227 grams (1 1/3 cups)
- Liver, beef 138 grams (1/3 pound)
- Vegetable oil 63 grams (4 ? Tbs)
- Fish oil 9 grams (9 1000-mg fish oil capsules)*
- Calcium carbonate 3.3 grams**
- Dicalcium phosphate*** 2.9 grams (3/4 tsp)
- Salt substitute (potassium chloride) 1.9 grams (1/3 tsp)
- BNBalanced vitamin/trace mineral supplement
* Note: The amount of fish oil that must be added to homemade foods to achieve the total n-3 fatty acid levels in Canine n/d is usually not practical or economical to use. Owners are encouraged to feed the highest fish oil dose tolerated by the dog. Cost is approximately $0.05 to 0.10 per capsule.
** Calcium carbonate is available as oyster shell calcium tablets or Tums tablets (0.5 g in regular Tums, 0.75 g in Tums Extra and 1.0 g in Tums Ultra).
*** Bone meal can be used in place of dicalcium phosphate.
Directions: Cook the rice with salt substitute added to the water. Cook the ground beef and drain the fat. Cook the liver and dice or finely chop into small pieces. Pulverize the calcium carbonate and vitamin/mineral tablets. Mix the vegetable oil, fish oil (break open capsules) and supplements with the rice and then add the cooked ground beef and liver. Mix well, cover and refrigerate. Feed approximately one-third of this mixture each day to a 25-30 pound dog. Palatability will be increased if the daily portion is heated to
approximately body temperature (Caution: when using microwave, avoid "hot spots," which can burn the mouth).
- Nutrient Profile (% dry matter basis):
- Protein 35.3
- Fat 41.6
- Carbohydrate 17.8
- Calcium 0.65
- Phosphorus 0.54
- Sodium 0.36
- Potassium 0.68
- Magnesium 0.05
- Energy 1,989 kcal/kg as fed